While working in SharePoint 2010, you may receive the following error:
The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: <nativehr>0x80004005</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator.
I got this error while trying to change the site URL in Site Settings.
The resolution to this error is:
1. Navigate to Central Administration.
2. Go to Application Management > Manage Web Application and click on your web application to select it.
3. In the Ribbon, click on General Settings drop-down and choose “Resource Throttling”.
4. In the “List View Threshold”, increase the value (by a factor of 2, for example) and click OK.
5. Try to replicate the error. If the error persists, increase the value again until the error goes away.